1 not active or moving; "a static village community and a completely undynamic type of agriculture"; "static feudal societies" [syn: unchanging]
3 concerned with or producing or caused by static electricity; "an electrostatic generator produces high-voltage static electricity" [syn: electrostatic]
1 a crackling or hissing noise cause by electrical interference [syn: atmospherics, atmospheric static]
2 angry criticism; "they will probably give you a lot of static about your editorial"
- Rhymes: -ætɪk
- Interference on a broadcast signal caused by atmospheric disturbances; heard as crackles on radio, or seen as random specks on television.
- In the context of "by extension": Interference or obstruction from people.
- Something that is not part of any perceived universe phenomena; having no motion; no particle; no wavelength.
Static has several meanings:
electricity, a net charge of an object
- The triboelectric effect, e.g. from shoes rubbing carpet
- White noise, a random signal with a flat power spectral density
- Statics, a branch
of physics concerned with physical systems in equilibrium
- Fluid statics, the science of fluids at rest
- Static spacetime, a spacetime in which the geometry does not change
- Static character, a character who does not undergo significant change during the course of a story
In computer science
- Static code analysis is a set of methods for analyzing code without running it
- Static linking, where identifiers are associated with data or sections of code during linking not run-time
- Static IP address, an address configured on a device which does not change.
- Static logic, digital logic which does not use a clock signal
- Static method, a method of a class that does not need an explicit object reference
- Static random access memory, a type of semiconductor memory which retains its contents as long as power is applied
- Static typing, where type checking is applied at compile-time not run-time
- Static variables may be constants, local function variables, or class variables depending on the context,varialbles that are common to all objects.
In Popular culture and the arts
- "Static", a 1988 funk music single by Full Force and James Brown
- Staticicity , An English Alternative Rock Band
- Static-X, an
American industrial metal band
- Wayne Static, co-founder, front-figure, vocalist and guitarist of Static-X
- Static (bass player), bass player in the band Anyone
- Static (Ditko), a superhero created and owned by Steve Ditko
- Static (film), a 1986 cult movie directed by Mark Romanek
- Static (musician), Australian drum & bass producer
- Static (comics), a Milestone Comics superhero
- Static (The Twilight Zone), second season episode 20 of The Twilight Zone broadcast on March 10, 1961
- Steve "Static" Garrett, member of R&B group Playa and songwriter for Aaliyah and Ginuwine
- Static (DJ), a Danish DJ and hip hop producer
- Static, a British stencil artist & graffiti writer
- Eat Static, UK Alien themed Techno music pioneers formed from former members of UK underground legends Ozric Tentacles
- "Sleep through the static", Jack Johnson (2007)
static in German: Statik
static in Spanish: Estática
static in French: Statique
static in Turkish: Statik
Babel, abeyant, abiding, apathetic, at a standstill, at anchor, atmospherics, battery-powered, bedlam, biostatic, birdies, blaring, blasting, blind spot, blooping, blurping, cacophony, capacity, cataleptic, catatonic, changeless, character, confusion of tongues, constant, contemplative, continuing, crawling, creeping, dead, dead-still, difficulties, difficulty, distortion, do-nothing, dopey, dormant, drift, dull, durable, dynamoelectric, electric, electric-powered, electrified, electrifying, electrochemical, electrodynamic, electrokinetic, electromechanical, electrometric, electromotive, electropneumatic, electrostatic, electrothermal, enduring, fade-out, fading, feedback, firm, fixed, flak, flat, flutter, fluttering, footing, foul, frozen, galvanic, galvanometric, geostatic, groggy, heavy, hell, hissing, howling, hum, hydroelectric, idle, immobile, immotive, immovable, immutable, in abeyance, in suspense, inactive, inert, intact, interference, invariable, inviolate, laissez-aller, laissez-faire, languid, languorous, lasting, latent, leaden, lifeless, location, locus, logy, meditative, motionless, motorboating, moveless, neuter, neutral, noise, out of commission, pandemonium, paralytic, paralyzed, passive, permanent, perpetual, persistent, phlegmatic, photoelectric, piezoelectric, place, point, position, problems, procrastinating, quiescent, quietist, quietistic, racket, rank, reception, remaining, riding at anchor, rigid, rumble, scratching, sedentary, shredding, site, situation, slack, sleeping, sluggish, slumbering, smoldering, solid, spot, squeals, stabile, stable, stagnant, stagnating, standing, standpat, state, station, stationary, statuelike, staying, steadfast, steady, sticky, still, stock-still, stopped, stuck, suspended, sustained, tame, torpid, trouble, unactive, unaltered, unaroused, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, unchecked, undestroyed, unemployed, unfading, unfailing, unmoved, unmoving, unshifting, unvaried, unvarying, vegetable, vegetative, voltaic, where, whistles, woomping, wow, wowwows